Saturday, 25 January 2014

Review: Flavoured icing sugar & cocoa powder from Sugar & Crumbs

Just before Christmas I was sent some new products to try from Sugar & Crumbs, in the past I've tried their ready to roll icing which I liked so I was intrigued to see what their new flavoured icing sugars and cocoa powders would be like. They sent me 3 icing sugars and one cocoa powder in a pretty pink and white tote bag with a cute cupcake fridge magnet. The cocoa powder was coconut flavoured and to go with this I received coconut, key lime and tropical fruits flavoured icing sugars. All the flavourings used by Sugar & Crumbs are natural and there are no colourings added to the icing sugar which leaves you free to colour your own icing if you want to. Each product was packaged in a resealable pouch which is handy to prevent moisture getting into the icing sugar and also takes up less space in the cupboard.


I made a buttercream with the coconut icing sugar using a standard buttercream method, i.e. 2 parts icing sugar and 1 part butter and used this to fill some macarons as a Christmas gift for my boyfriend's sister and her husband. They loved the macarons I made for their wedding gift and she dropped not very subtle hints about wanting some more. We sampled some of the buttercream as well and everyone enjoyed it. The coconut flavour was definitely there but it wasn't overpowering and it actually tasted like coconut.

I made a chocolate cake using the coconut flavoured cocoa powder which turned wonderfully dark and chocolatey. The cake had a good coconutty flavour, reminiscent of a dark chocolate Bounty bar, but I chose not to pair it with the coconut icing sugar as I thought that for me at least, it would have been coconut overload. Instead I cut the cake in half and covered half with the key lime icing and the other half with the tropical fruits icing. For these icings I decided to make a glace icing using half flavoured icing sugar and half plain icing sugar with a little water as I thought that by not including butter that the flavour would probably be stronger and it was. I also tend to make glace icing more often than buttercream anyway as it's quicker, easier and cheaper so I wanted to see how these would fare.

On opening the packet of the tropical fruits icing I was struck by how strongly it smelled and to me it was overpowering and not very pleasant. When it came to tasting this icing, I'm afraid that I didn't like it at all, it just didn't taste like tropical fruit to me, despite the natural flavouring on the label, it tasted artificial to me, however my boyfriend seemed to enjoy it. The key lime icing was OK, I've never had a key lime pie so I can't compare the flavours. It worked quite well with the chocolate cake and reminded me of a chocolate lime sweet. I'm not sure I'd choose to use it again though. In the interest of getting a wider range of opinions I took both the tropical fruits iced cake and the key lime iced cake into the office. Everyone seemed to like the key lime flavour icing but only a few people liked the tropical fruits icing and they all liked the coconut flavoured chocolate cake. I'd be happy to use the coconut flavoured products again but I'm sorry to say that I just wasn't so keen on the other two flavours.

Disclaimer: I was sent the products reviewed above form Sugar & Crumbs, all opinions are my own. 

3 comments:

  1. Hello my name is Francesca and I'm Italian. I discovered your blog by accident, looking for new things. I have joined your followers. If you go too foul. Thank you. Francesca

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had the chance to review these :) I was given the chance to try these recently and I must admit had I done so I don't think I wouldve picked the lime or tropical fruits out of choice - I think they are very difficult flavours to get right even if they are "natural" afterall what fruits would you expect "tropical" to taste like? Orange? Passionfruit? Mango?

    I think I may still give them a a go though. I was tempted by the coconut and would also like to try the cherry. I'll let you know if I do :) xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for reading, please feel free to comment on any of my posts. I love to hear what you think! :)
Apologies for putting the captcha verification back on but the spammers are annoying me!